Lined Jacket (M6531)!!!

Hello! It feels like I haven't done a sewing post in ages which is strange, because I have been sewing. So this post will be extra long to make up for it! Anyway today's post is about McCall's pattern M6531 (view C), the pattern is for an unlined, loose-fitting jacket and some of the things it has are- pockets with gussets and flaps, an elastic waist, sleeve tabs and a lot of drawstring-cord-things. I've made this pattern twice, both times I added lining. The first coat was made from a dark green drill fabric and was lined with a fairly light, matching lining. Adding in the lining was fairly simple and the fabric was easy enough to work with. However the second coat was a little more challenging.

I was browsing around a fabric store a while back, one which I hadn't been to before and (amongst other things!) I stumbled upon this dark green, waterproof looking fabric and thought it would be perfect to make a coat out of. The thought of whether I'd even be able to sew it with a machine did cross my mind but was rather promptly pushed away when I started to think about all the fabrics that would be suitable to line it with. After a lot of thought I decided on a green, red, yellow and black cotton zigzag print, it wasn't something I was completely convinced on but after little persuasion I decided to give it a shot.

The green fabric was a real pain to work with because it couldn't be ironed and if you had to unpick anything you were almost guaranteed to have a nice, big hole. Even pins had to be used with caution. To make matters worse there was a tonne of top-stitching that I really wanted to do but I didn't realise that the fabric was going to make the machine stitches absolutely tiny. Since I didn't want to run the risk of holes I left my uneven, dreadful looking stitches and proceeded to use a walking foot. The only other difficulty I had was with the gussets as they kept moving.

As I was nearing the end of my project I had to decide what type of closures I wanted to use and since I didn't want to risk button-holes I used snap fasteners, the hammer in ones. I also used eyelets instead of button-holes. I made a couple of changes with the design features for the coat and they were- cord instead of elastic for the casing and adding a stripe on one of the sleeves to give it a sporty, more casual look. Enough with the words, here's what the coat actually ended up looking like!








Anyway, troubles aside I'm really pleased with how the coat came out and definitely think it was worth it. That being said I don't think I'll be making it again anytime soon!
Thanks for reading-


Links-
Email- zigzagsandhabiliments@gmail.com