Duvet Cover & Pillow Cases | Sewing


Today's post is one that I meant to write up a while ago, as it's something I made a while ago! I feel like I start a lot of my posts off with that... Anyway this post is about how I made a duvet cover and pillow case. I made both without a pattern (more about that below!) and the back is made out of an old sheet. 

Starting off with why I didn't bother with a pattern: a duvet cover is only going require sewing seven straight lines. Tops. You might be wondering why there's seven parts to stitch since, ya know, a rectangle only tends to have four sides. The answer to this is that you probably don't want to sew up all four sides and also probably don't want any raw edges. Also it's quite nice to sew up, say ten centimeters of the bottom on either side as well, just so that your duvet cover looks professional. Back to why I didn't use a pattern, a duvet cover is flat and requires two pieces of fabric so you can pretty much just "eyeball" it! Plus, finding a pattern that matches the exact width of your fabric is pretty much guaranteed to be a pain!

Moving onto the fabric: I'd had the multicoloured heart print lying around for ages and couldn't really see how I could use it for a garment, but I thought it would look good for bedding. The fabric wasn't quite wide enough to be used by its self though, which is a common problem if you're looking for fabric to turn into a duvet. To fix this I took a large unfitted sheet, stitched the side seams, pressed, then stitched the top seam and finished the bottom. It seemed to work pretty well, my only comment would be that when you're trying to fold the fabric to get it to sit right so the top seam can be stitched, that you should spread it out as much as possible. I like to apply this principle to any projects that involve loads of fabric too, as it just makes everything easier!

As a bit of a design feature I chose to add some really big, bold, feature buttons. Partly because I really don't like having to undo and redo a tonne of buttons every time I want to change my duvet cover, and also because it minimised the number of button holes I had to do. Since button holes are pretty high up there on the list of things my sewing machine hates doing (I'm pretty sure I just need to figure out the function better ☺) I thought that three buttons holes would suffice. 

Moving onto the photo's (please ignore how the focus is lacking in, well, pretty much all of them!!)...





Thanks for reading!! Let me know if you liked the post and also if you've ever made/are thinking of making a duvet cover!!

Katie XO